I’ve been writing posts about power tools and accessories that will help workers comply with the new requirements issued by Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA) regarding their amendments to the existing standards for occupational exposure to respirable crystalline silica (found in asphalt, brick, cement, concrete, drywall, grout, mortar, stone, sand and tile, just to name a few). Employers covered by the construction standard have until June 23, 2017 to comply with most of these new requirements. (The rule will become enforceable June 23, 2018 for the maritime and general industries.)
Now I’ll breakdown the systems for Bosch PRO+GUARD Dust Solutions for masonry tuckpointing and concrete cutting.
I said in my last few posts that Bosch has done a really good job with making this as simple as possible with a graphic. So again, I’m not going to go over everything. Just take a look at the table and follow these steps:
- Choose the tool that best fits your needs.
- Identify the correct attachment that fits your tool.
- Choose a HEPA rated dust extractor with the highest CFM and that also meets EPA guidelines.
- Determine the approved respirator for your application.
- Use the VAC090A or VAC140A with the VF120H for dust extraction for masonry; use the dust extractor with 175+ CFM for concrete cutting.
- Depending on the model # of the tool you’re using, you have your choice of five cutting attachments: GA50DC, 18DC-5E, 18DC-6E, 19DC-7 or 19DC-9.
Please let us know if you have any questions! And don’t forget to use the approved respirator(s) for your applications!